Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lovin' showers from Mother Earth

I had to start putting a lot of our cookware and bigger things that we cook with; oil, water jugs, etc...on the ground due to no space on the table=no space to cook. Of course I put something on the ground to make a barrier between the dirty ground and the stuff we eat off of (which I also clean before we eat) but c'mon we are in the forest! Anyway, this morning I was making the morning oatmeal and started going through the tupperware, plates and other things to get what I needed. I picked up the skillet and tupperware and about jumped out of my flip flops!! I was very startled and just glad what I saw wasn't any bigger or I might have peed my pants a little! There was a scorpion just hanging out in the square tupperware, just chillin' in the corner. Before I did anything I took some pictures of course then picked up the tupperware and carried it over to some rocks....far away from our camp. I just had to see if he was alive, ya know curiosity. I moved him around a little bit with a (very) long stick and when he jumped and moved one of his lil claws I about had a panic attack....that was when I threw him over into the rocks.

[caption id="attachment_506" align="aligncenter" width="300"] A sign, my sister says she loves me![/caption]

Hopefully we don't see anymore of him or his family, ugh....(shuddering). I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it. I told J' to make sure to check his shoes before putting them on. I always do it for spiders and whatever else likes dark cooler spaces, my mom taught me to do that since I was a little girl, so I thought I would pass on the knowledge. You never know what might be waiting at the tip of your shoe for you one day! One time my mom had put on her running shoes or something like that, (I think they had been outside) and a good part of the day she kept feeling something in her shoe... when she finally took off her shoe there was a head of a lizard in it....ewwww. So check your shoes, you never know what friendly/non-friendly critters might want to be "in your shoes"! After all of the excitement settled down, I decided to get that nasty polish off of my digits and put on the pretty. I gave myself a mani and now I have a beautiful sparkly blue on...I love it!

The rest of the day was low key, it's still raging hotness here so I read some articles on beginner guitar, talked to my friend about different chords and finger placements and then took Nana on her evening walk. I took her for a bit longer walk than usual, not that we go any farther than usual (I'm afraid of getting lost) I just let her sniff every single stinkin' tree, shrub and rock in & out of her path. She's very thourough.

[caption id="attachment_508" align="aligncenter" width="225"] Lil bug under a lil tree[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_512" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Savannah is obsessed with this tree but I won't let her near it....maybe a rattlesnakes lair[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_516" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Her Happy Roll[/caption]

I took a lot of different pics of our surroundings. I think there are sooo many cool things out here that the camera just doesn't pick up like we do with our eyes but I tried to capture some of the things I see on a daily basis.

[caption id="attachment_511" align="aligncenter" width="225"] I just love this[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_510" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Bear print[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_515" align="aligncenter" width="300"] This tree captivates me[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_517" align="aligncenter" width="225"] The only green around us...the fern field[/caption]

The trees here are so old and cool, the view is amazing, it's so neat we get to be in a place like this and enjoy all of the beauty and serenity around us. On our way back I noticed some really dark clouds rolling in, this is something we just don't see on a day to day...could it be rain approaching?

[caption id="attachment_513" align="aligncenter" width="300"] A sight to see! CLOUDS!![/caption]

[caption id="attachment_514" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Dark space, Light space[/caption]

I started smelling rain as we got closer to camp, so when we got back I started moving everything under the tarp on the rock, it's really the only place that doesn't have dirt on it. If it did end up raining at least our clothes and other bags wouldn't be in a muddy massacre. Thank goodness I was thinkin' with my noggin because as I was pulling everything under, the rain started coming down. We started double timing it and here it came! We got everything under the tarp and I was still sitting in my chair where I usually am during the day and then a big gust of wind came and started soaking my computer, so I moved into the van.

[caption id="attachment_520" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Bringing it all in[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_519" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Good thing for sheets, trees & tables[/caption]

We kept the doors open to get the nice cool breeze and watch it come down...then something happened that made us shut the doors! We have the tarp over the rock and a bit over the van, well all of the water gathered in the middle of the tarp and when a big gust of wind came through it lifted the tarp and brought it back down bringing all of the collected water right smack down into the middle of the van. We shut the doors, but then the TV antennae kept going out so after about 10 minutes of static reception J' wanted to get out and fix it. I was going to help him by opening my door and dumping the water from the tarp before he got out (so it wouldn't dump on him)...haha it sounded like a good idea! I dumped a bit of water but most of it came right back down my arm, into the van on my shorts and the chair. J' started heading out since most of it was off of the tarp, at that point I had my door open and the side door open just a crack...another gust of wind and got poured on. It looked like I just got out of the shower with my clothes on, all I could do was sit there soaking wet laughing hysterically. J' was just relieved I was laughing and not crying. It was pretty funny! He fixed the antennae and the rain only lasted about 35 minutes in all.

[caption id="attachment_521" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Woohoo Rain![/caption]

After the rain stopped I made us a chicken dinner that probably could have tasted better, there was a lack of marination, but it was still better than the regular foil packets. It stayed pretty chilly the rest of the night...what a nice break from the dreaded heat. I actually slept in my yoga pants and a shirt instead of my skivies!! I love being able to snuggle in the blankets instead of kicking them off all night, such a relief...totally makes me sleep better too. It was a nice change but I'm glad it doesn't rain here all the time, just too much stuff to get wet! Have a terrific night and hope you're staying dry wherever you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment